Friday, March 2, 2012

Be a Happy Warrior

 Happy Warrior
Original vector art tribute
to Andrew Breitbart

Andrew Breitbart was a brave man, there was no denying it. Andrew wrote in an amended conclusion to his book Righteous Indignation, "Three years ago, I was mostly a behind-the-scenes guy who linked to stuff on a very popular website. I always wondered what it would be like to enter the public realm to fight for what I believe in. I’ve lost friends, perhaps dozens. But I’ve gained hundreds, thousands—who knows?—of allies. At the end of the day, I can look at myself in the mirror, and I sleep very well at night." They key here is that he was true to himself, the hypocritical world be damned.

I'm not as brave as he was, not yet. As an artist and graphic designer, I face a lot of opposition to my political beliefs. I keep my thoughts to myself for fear of being ostracized, something that could literally kill my career. There have been times when I was really incensed about something, the words dangling burning my tongue. But I said nothing. The fear of what could happen to me if people knew was just too strong. I had this blog, railed like a maniac on Twitter, but kept these things as separate from my professional life as possible. In the wake of Andrew's death, I'm ashamed of my cowardice.

I want to scale the tallest building in my city and yell it to the masses; I'm a conservative artist! I want people to know there's nothing wrong with expecting others to have personal responsibility, believing in fiscal independence and the sanctity of all life, and respecting the sacrifice of the military. The constitution of this great nation states I can have my beliefs just as they can have theirs. What I feel doesn't make me stupid and it doesn't make me a monster. My conservatism doesn't mean I'm any less talented as an artist. I make an effort to be kind to those with whom I disagree, to not make snap judgements. I dream of the day when my convictions won't be a detriment to my professional credibility.

Andrew Breitbart's passing has hit me harder than I expected. I share this today as a step on my way to true bravery. My name is Rachael and I'm a conservative. I will fight how I can. I will try to be a happy warrior.

9 comments:

  1. Bravo. I completely understand how you feel - not only am I a conservative artist, but I'm also a conservative who's attracted to other women.

    The vector is gorgeous; I think I'm going to steal it for my desktop so I can look at it every day and remind myself to soldier on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's so difficult to not 'fit' into comfy little stereotypes, which is ironic considering the left is all about being 'unique'. I'm so glad to have the friends I've made thanks to the internet and to Andrew's work. We're all different yet we get along. Feel free to snag for inspiration, we must all soldier on!

      Delete
  2. The graphic is amazing and you have a wonderful talent! Thank you for sharing.

    I know what it's like to be afraid to speak up in the workplace for fear it'll hurt my career. I'm feeling a little braver since Andrew's passing and I'm hoping it'll last. For now, we need to stick together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed, we must stick together. That's something I've noticed about conservatives, we seem more likely to have each other's backs for the long haul. Thanks for reading, keep up the good fight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this so much. And the words you wrote to go along with it as always, are very honest and inspiring. And you know I've always got your back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just saw this-- REALLY good. I pray everyday to be fearless.... seeing this artwork of AB reminds me! TY! (I am an artist too,)

    ReplyDelete